Friday, July 8, 2011

10 things I love/hate about you, New York


Since I have lived in New York City for more than a month now, I think it's safe for me to make some judgement calls. For anyone who has never lived here, NY is not all about the lights, the fame, the beautiful people, Alicia Keys' concrete jungle, etc. Coming here to vacation is fabulous, but actually surviving here is a different story. I am only telling you of my experience, and yes, what an experience it is to live here. The good and the bad.



I will start with the bad news first. Here are 5 things that I hate about New York:


1. HOMELESS PEOPLE: There are so many of them that I lose count in 1 day. They sleep on the stairs of the subway, in McDonald's bathrooms, in Starbuck's Bathrooms, on the floor at KMart, outside of my dorm, at the Hudson river parks (ruining my lovely time there), in the gutter....you get the picture. Yesterday, I had to move off of the sidewalk so that a homeless woman could push her cart through. The cart took up the WHOLE sidewalk because she had collected so many aluminum cans that the garbage bags that held the cans hung about 4 feet out on either side of the cart. This was only after I saw a woman breast feeding a baby on the street. The street that I work on. A midst hundreds of professionals walking home from work. In front of an upscale gym. No cover, all boob. No shame. Gross. 


2. THE PRICES: I have already complained about how expensive everything is here, but it never ceases to amaze me whenever I have to pull out my debit card. I have told you about the $2.05 cheese roll-up at Taco Bell. The dollar menu does not exist at McDonald's. It's more like a $1.99 menu, and that's the cheapest thing. I spent $4 on a hot dog at Coney Island (however, it was the best hot dog I've ever had). It cost up to $8 just to ride one ride at Luna Park. A glass of wine is $9-12 and a beer is $7-11. The happy hour specials here are still more than the regular drink prices in Mississippi. If you buy a bottle of alcohol at the club it ranges from $300-500. It cost me $5 every time I want to do laundry (so I just wear dirty clothes...I know, I'm gross, but so is everyone else that lives here). Groceries are ridiculous, $6 for sandwich meat, $5 for milk, $14 for a 6 pack of beer and $20 for my contact solution. Oh yeah, and $2,000 a month for an apartment that's the size of a closet on the 10th floor with no elevator. 


3. THE NATIVES: Everyone is very rude here. They will bump into you and not say sorry. They don't say please or thank you. They are impatient. They don't hold doors. They are ALWAYS in a hurry. It almost makes me want to stop being nice to people because no one is nice to me. I'm only referring to the strangers or the people that I come in contact with on a daily basis, the friends I've made here are awesome and the people I work with are great. Also, I've noticed the words that people use here. They use the words "sick" and "mad" a lot....and they don't use them in the way I do. Example: "That club was so crazy sick! I had a mad good time. Mad respect, dude". I only wish I was cool enough to use those words. Also, people only say parts of words like delish, amaze, totes, fave, obvi, jeal, etc. If you don't know what those words mean, then you're with me - it takes me an extra minute to process peoples sentences sometimes. Finally, there is an overuse of the word "obsessed" here. No, I don't really believe that you are actually "obsessed" with salad and goat cheese. Nor do I believe that you are "obsessed" with that new tote you just paid $400 for. 


4. GETTING LOST / NOT HAVING A CAR: Like I've mentioned before, not having an iPhone (or any phone with a GPS) is a disadvantage. I can look up directions before I leave my computer, but if don't get off on the right subway stop or go into the wrong subway station, it's hard to correct. Especially when I have (more than once) swiped my unlimited Metro card in the wrong station, and then I have to wait 18 min to swipe it again at the correct station. There is no feeling like being lost in the city by yourself. If I had the money, I would take a cab everywhere. The subways are gross but incredibly fast. You can go 10 blocks in 10 seconds! However, the way that people pack themselves in the cars is awful. They just shove themselves in there because it can take up to 20 min sometimes to wait for the next train....and people stink and there are rats.  


5. LABELS, LABELS, LABELS: I expected this, and it's true, everyone is overly concerned with labels, designer brands, etc. So much so that people are willing to pay for crap
...just because it says Marc Jacobs on the inside. Ok, so this shirt is for a good cause, but NO ONE would buy it if it wasn't produced by a designer. Obviously, I have respect for fashion designers and the industry, but it's not all about labels. Fashion is much more than that. 


________________________________________________________________


There is a good side to everything! Here are the top 5 things I LOVE about New York.


1. INSTANT SATISFACTION: Because of the overabundance of stuff in the city, whatever your heat desires can be yours at anytime during the day. Food, shows, shopping, nightlife, activities, and things...lots of things. Arielle gave a perfect example of this one weekend,  "I love that we were just at this crazy Asian club and then the next minute we were sitting in a diner eating pancakes." It happens that fast. Even though the subways are gross, they are super efficient. You can be anywhere in the city in minutes just by hopping on a subway train. 


2. THE VARIETY: Variety is the spice of life. There are sooooooo many things to do here. So many that it's overwhelming. If you don't have a plan and a place to go, it is impossible to just stumble upon something here. There are hidden gems and overly touristy spots. There are the top clubs in the world and there are the worst bars I've ever seen. If you want expensive and glamorous, you got it. If you want a local good time and a low key atmosphere, you got it. There is definitely something for everyone here! I've been to some great clubs and also some really bad, nasty places....but it's all about the experience of getting to witness it all!


3. THE FOOD: I know that I have already talked about how much I love eating here, but it's true. I would've never experienced the types of food that I've had here anywhere else. I've had the best of everything. It was here that first I had falafel sandwich, eggplant lasagna, clam sauce, sweet potato fries (I know they have those everywhere, but not like the ones I've had here), fresh cooked tortillas, gyros, gelato, $15 cocktails (worth every penny), and the best desserts including cheesecake and handmade chocolates. Brunch here is OUTSTANDING. Every restaurant has brunch. It is so relaxing getting to eat hearty breakfast food on a Saturday or Sunday morning and drinking the best cup of coffee I've ever had. You can't beat NY food.


4. CELEBRITY SIGHTINGS: Living in New York, you are bound to run into celebrities. Not only do celebs live here, own restaurants and clubs here, perform at all the NY venues, but they also walk around like normal people....crazy, I know. So far I've seen Kristen Schaal, a correspondent on the Daily Show, Mario Cantone who plays Anthony on Sex and the City, Alex and Simon from the Real Housewives of New York, and THE Tim Gunn from Project Runway. 



5. FASHION, FASHION, FASHION!: I mentioned that I dislike the fact that everyone has to wear name brands here, but that doesn't really have anything to do with me loving the fashion industry....it just shows how pretentious people are here. Fashion is the heartbeat of this city. Here, it's not stupid to major in fashion. Fashion is the largest thing happening here. I am surrounded by designer names, press kits, confidential information on designers and collections, runway show archives, etc. It is incredible to be immersed in something that I dream, think and drool over back at home. Fashion Week was a facade that I followed every season, but here, it's a reality....a reality that I am apart of. The opportunities in fashion are endless here. However, I will not be staying here after my internship because it is not very realistic for me at this point. But if this city is where I need to be in the future, then bring on the fashion!

-Syd

1 comment:

  1. You sound like me! The prices killed me up there. I wore dirty clothes too... ha. I think I did laundry three times. And I believe I have a whole blog post about the price of beer. On top of it all, I once left my key in my dorm and was charged $50 just to open my door... let's just say I was not a happy girl. My advice (though you may have already discovered this) is to go to Brooklyn as much as possible if you go out/shop/etc. MUCH more reasonable- and just as fun!

    Make sure you enjoy it! I complained about the same things all the time, but now I just miss it up there! I came home early because I finished my internship project earlier than I thought, but six months later I was kicking myself for not just sticking around and seeing the sights for those last few weeks.

    ReplyDelete